For many women...
Irregular and painful periods are all too common, and can be a sign of less than optimal conditions that may lead to fertility challenges. Whether you are actively trying to conceive, or planning for the future, traditional Chinese medicine can help optimize your reproductive health.
Here are some of the ways that acupuncture and herbal medicine may help improve your reproductive health:
- Normalize the hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian axis for regular and predictable ovulation.
- Reduce stress hormone production that interferes with ovulation.
- Increase blood flow to the uterus, improving endometrial lining and chances of a fertilized egg implanting.
- Acupuncture and herbal medicine treatment for fertility encourage the free flow of Qi and blood to the pelvic region, thus improving the chances of a successful conception and the maintenance of a full, healthy pregnancy.
- Improve pregnancy rates in women using Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART), such as in-vitro fertilization (IVF).
When infertility is a concern, or if you have experienced miscarriages, acupuncture and herbal medicine alone can be a powerful and effective fertility treatment plan. If you are working with a diagnosis such as poly-cystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), blocked fallopian tubes, or endometriosis, acupuncture and herbal medicine may still help – these are assessments we can make together.
I also work with individuals and couples who are using traditional Chinese medicine in conjunction with Western infertility treatment options, such as in-vitro fertilization (IVF) and intrauterine insemination (IUI). In these cases, acupuncture is used both to improve chances of a healthy pregnancy, as well as to decrease side-effects from Western drug regimens. I am also available to provide embryo transfer support.
Sometimes there is a male factor in infertility. Acupuncture has been shown to increase sperm count, improve motility, and address morphology issues. There are also herbal formulas that can be prescribed to support sperm production.
In summary, traditional Chinese medicine treatment for fertility will bring your body and mind into a healthier and more balanced state, and optimize your chances of conception.
Note: If you are planning to conceive, basal body temperature (BBT) charting is an incredibly useful tool in identifying potential fertility challenges – please see the following articles that I have written on this topic.